Software Engineer Platform Delivery
Job title: Software Engineer Platform Delivery
Reporting to: Director, Engineering and Data Science
Hours: Permanent Full-time
Salary: A market competitive package, including participation in The Yield’s employee share options plan.
The Yield is hiring. Join us on our mission to change the face of agricultural technology, and help feed the world without wrecking the planet.
The world needs to produce 60% more food by 2050 during a time of unprecedented resource constraints and climate change. As an Internet of Things (IoT) agricultural technology company, we help improve our customers’ yields by offering on-farm sensors, analytics and apps as an end-to-end subscription service. Our aim is to be a global leader in intelligent solutions for the agriculture and food industries. We are rolling out across Australia before scaling globally.
We have a highly-focused team that brings together world-leading agriculturists, scientists and technologists. We partner with some of the global giants of technology, including Bosch and Microsoft. We have a strong commitment to open innovation and collaboration, both internally and externally. A core value is that we work with the best and share the rewards.
Our Founder and Managing Director has spent her life promoting inclusion and diversity at work. Our business is committed to creating the right culture, systems and flexibility for everyone to thrive and reach their full potential - regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation. We were awarded the Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) inaugural #TechDiversity Award in 2016 in recognition of our achievements. Check out our video.
We are looking for a Software Engineer who is passionate about data, and working on an enterprise system that solves real world problems in agriculture.
As a Software Engineer in The Yield’s Platform Delivery team, you will take responsibility for the platform that delivers and manages the data and services underpinning our solutions. You will be back-end focused, and responsible for working within a multi-disciplinary team to deliver a high quality, usable, robust, reliable and scalable platform into production.
We need someone flexible, eager to learn and who will be focused on data integrity, doing it the right way not the fastest way.
The Software Engineer is responsible for:
1. Contributing to the overall architecture and design of The Yield’s Solutions.
2. Developing The Yield’s platform and back end services in a maintainable and scalable way, utilising cloud infrastructure.
3. Working with the team to implement and adhere to engineering best practices such as configuration management, continuous integration, continuous deployment etc.
4. Work closely with the Data science team to implement and release Data Analytics and models to production
5. Ensuring continuous improvement and development, keeping up with and leveraging new breakthroughs and advances in technology;
6. Contributing to a cohesive, diverse and high-performing team that is genuinely inclusive and gender-balanced
7. Establishing good internal and external relationships, and working collaboratively with key stakeholders across the company to deliver The Yield’s product.
8. Be flexible, we need people who will do whatever it takes to get the job done.
To be successful in this role you must have:
1. A strong track record (min 3 years’ experience) of software development with a focus on back end development and / or data driven systems.
2. You will have a sound understanding of building enterprise quality systems which are usable, reliable, robust and scalable including experience in Git or other version control systems.
3. Strong problem solving skills with a demonstrated understanding of algorithmic efficiency, distributed systems and coding for scalability and operability.
4. Experience with the following: development and deployment of robust cloud based systems, systems based on complex data, understanding of geospatial data non-structured data storage systems.
5. Interest in IoT technology and data analytics in use in production level systems.
6. Experience with contemporary software development methodologies and software development best practice such as unit testing and continuous integration.
7. Experience with and an understanding of multiple technologies and languages such as: .NET, C#, Python, SQL and NoSQL databases and a willingness to learn new languages and technology.
8. Experience with public cloud offerings such as Azure etc.
To be successful in this role you are likely to have a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience.
More about you:
You are creative and a natural collaborator. You thrive on solving problems with digital technology for growers. You will have real-world experience in developing enterprise systems at scale. You thrive in an environment of rapid change and innovation. You aren’t afraid to take responsibility for your work, to stretch yourself and to be challenged. We also hope you love all things food and can relate to producers across the value chain.
More about us:
We are looking for talented women and men who share our passion and hire on both skills and values. We are a truly diverse company and are actively striving to be an industry leader in building inclusive technology teams. We offer a supportive and flexible working environment, including giving our staff the tools needed to work remotely.
Check out our LinkedIn company page for details.
Enquiries and Applications: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Thursday 4 May 2017.