Job title: Application Development Team Lead
Reporting to: Product Development Manager
Salary: A market competitive package including participation in The Yield’s employee share options plan.
Hours:Permanent Full Time
The Yield is hiring. Come join us and change the face of agricultural technology and help feed the world without wrecking the planet. We are looking for a development leader who is passionate about putting awesome software into the hands of growers to make farming better for Australia and the rest of the World.
The Yield is an Internet of Things (IoT) agriculture technology company. We take the guesswork out of growing. We help improve customers’ yields by providing on-farm sensors and a customised information service to make faster decisions.We work with leading farmers.
The world needs to produce 70% more food by 2050 to feed the planet at a time of unprecedented resource constraints and the impact of climate change. Our aim is to be a global leader in intelligent solutions in the food industry. We are developing our IoT solutions in Australia before scaling aggressively globally.
The Yield has a highly-focused team that brings together world-leading agriculturists, scientists and technologists. We partner with some of the global giants of technology services like Bosch, Intel and Microsoft. We have a strong commitment to open innovation and collaboration both internally and externally. A core value is that we work with the best and share the rewards.
Our founder and Managing Director has spent her life time promoting inclusion and diversity at work. Our business is committed to creating the right culture, systems and flexibility for everyone regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation to thrive and reach their full potential. We were awarded the Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) inaugural #TechDiversity award in 2016 in recognition of our achievements.
The Application Development Lead heads up the team that is creating The Yield's new flagship applications for both Web and Mobile platforms as well as ensuring there is a smooth transition from our existing Apps. The Lead will ensure that the team has clear priority and direction, provide technical leadership and career management to their team and will liaise with the rest of the business to ensure the team has the right focus and everything that they need to succeed.
The Application Development Lead is responsible for:
1. Leading the development of new applications for web and mobile, ensuring that current applications are supported and extended as required;
2. Providing technical leadership to their team which includes direct technical guidance but also an overall understanding of approaches and methodologies for development and release of software – both applications and back end services;
3. Providing career management to their team members – setting goals, providing coaching and identifying training needed for team members to progress in their careers and to be productive and satisfied at The Yield;
4. Reporting progress, priorities, issues and risks and explaining technical concepts and issues to the rest of the business;
5. Ensuring compliance with The Yield’s systems to protect its intellectual property, its digital assets and customers’ privacy and confidential information;
6. Working closely with the other software teams, Data Science, Business Analysis, Sales & Marketing and Hardware teams to develop solutions to release in our product;
7. Ensuring continuous improvement and development, keeping up with and leveraging new breakthroughs and advances in software development;
8. Contributing to a cohesive, diverse and high-performing team that is genuinely inclusive and gender-balanced;
9. Establishing good internal and external relationships, communicating verbally and in writing wit key stakeholders;
10. Being flexible and able to work independently, we need people who will do whatever it takes to get the job done.
To be successful in this role you must have:
1. A track record (min 8 years’experience) of successful application software development (web and / or mobile) with a focus on both front and back end development;
2. At least 2 years team leadership experience;
3. Excellent written and verbal communication skills – an ability to communicate complex issues to non-technical people clearly;
4. Ability to express a system design and data model;
5. Sound and proven working knowledge of Agile Scrum;
6. A good understanding of issue management and priority management;
7. Experience using and creating RESTful API services;
8. Experience working with data and charting highly desirable;
9. ASP.Net MVC / .Net Core;
10. ReactJS a preference;
11. Azure Cloud experience required;
12. Proven experience with CI/CD best practices;
13. Solid working knowledge of SQL Databases.
To be successful in thisrole you are likely to have:
· A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
You are creative self-starter and a natural collaborator. You thrive on leading teams to create applications and systems that customers love to use. You certainly love technology and have a great curiosity about all things tech-related. You thrive in an environment of rapid change and innovation. You aren’t afraid to take responsibility for your work, to stretch yourself and to be challenged. We also hope you love all things food and can relate to producers across the value chain.
We are looking for talented women and men who share our passion and hire on both skills and values. We are a truly diverse company and are actively striving to be an industry leader in building inclusive technology teams. We offer a supportive and flexible working environment, including giving our staff the tools needed to work remotely.
Checkout our LinkedIncompany page for details.