Job title: Data Science Lead
Reporting to: Product Development Manager
Salary: A market competitive package including participation in The Yield’s employee share options plan.
Hours: Permanent Full Time
The Yield is hiring. Come join us in changing the face of agricultural technology and help feed the world without wrecking the planet. We are looking for a Data Scientist who is passionate about solving real work problems and providing insight through advanced analytics.
The Yield is an Internet of Things (IoT) agriculture technology company which takes the guesswork out of growing. We help improve customers’ yields by providing on-farm sensors and a customised information service to make faster decisions. We work with some of the leading farmers and food producers in Australia.
The world needs to produce 70% more food by 2050 to feed the planet at a time of unprecedented resource constraints and the impact of climate change. Our aim is to be a global leader in intelligent solutions in the food industry. We are developing our IoT solutions in Australia before scaling aggressively globally.
The Yield has a highly-focused team that brings together world-leading agriculturists, scientists and technologists. We partner with some of the global giants of technology services like Bosch, Intel and Microsoft. We have a strong commitment to open innovation and collaboration both internally and externally. One of our core values is that we work with the best and share the rewards.
Our founder and Managing Director has spent her life time promoting inclusion and diversity at work. Our business is committed to creating the right culture, systems and flexibility for everyone regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation to thrive and reach their full potential. We were awarded the Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) inaugural #TechDiversity award in 2016 in recognition of our achievements. Find out more about our approach to diversity by watching this video.
The Data Science Lead at The Yield will lead a small team of talented data scientists who work with varied data sets, ranging from multiyear climate data, observation data collected by on-farm sensors and agricultural models. The Data Science Lead will be responsible for leading a team that works within a multi-disciplinary environment to create previously unknown insights, model and codify inherent knowledge and provide local on-farm predictions using cutting edge methods and techniques for The Yield’s clients.
The Lead will ensure that the team has clear priority and direction, provide technical leadership and career management to their team and will liaise with the rest of the business to ensure the team has the right focus and everything that they need to succeed.
The Data Science Lead is responsible for:
1. Overseeing the development of (and directly developing) supervised and unsupervised predictive models, algorithms, geospatial data analytics and models that support The Yield’s product roadmap and are scalable to cloud architectures;
2. Providing technical leadership to their team which includes direct technical guidance as well as an overall understanding of approaches and methodologies for development and release of data science;
3. Providing career management to their team members – setting goals, providing coaching and identifying training needed for team members to progress in their careers and to be productive and satisfied at The Yield;
4. Reporting progress, priorities, issues and risks and explaining technical concepts and issues to the rest of the business;
5. Identifying and acquiring additional sources of data to enhance and expand our ability to deliver unique and valuable predictions and insights to our growers;
6. Ensuring compliance with The Yield’s systems to protect its intellectual property, its digital assets and customers’ privacy and confidential information;
7. Working closely with the Software Engineering, Business Analysis, Sales & Marketing and Hardware teams to develop solutions to release in our product;
8. Ensuring continuous improvement and development, keeping up with and leveraging new breakthroughs and advances in machine learning, AI and deep learning;
9. Contributing to a cohesive, diverse and high-performing team that is genuinely inclusive and gender-balanced;
10. Establishing good internal and external relationships, communicating verbally and in writing with key stakeholders; and
11. Being flexible and able to work independently, we need people who will do whatever it takes to get the job done.
To be successful in this role you must have:
1. A track record (minimum 5 years’ experience) of development of models using machine learning or AI to achieve a business and commercial outcome, preferably in areas such as environmental, climatic, geospatial, marine or agriculture modelling;
2. Have experience in manipulating, handling and extracting data form large structured and unstructured data sets including one or more of the following: time series data, predictive atmospheric models, weather or climate data, satellite imagery, and geospatial data;
3. Strong problem-solving skills with an understanding of the constraints on developing commercial solutions;
4. Experience with Python (including NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, Tensorflow, Keras, etc.) or the proven experience of multiple other languages allowing you to compress complex data / relationships into commercial / production grade models;
5. Experience in building, improving and understanding supervised and unsupervised models: neural networks, LSTM networks, random forests, etc.
6. Solid working knowledge of querying and manipulating datasets with exposure to at least one industrial strength database;
7. Experience with Tableau or an equivalent would be advantageous;
8. Empathy for end-users and a creative ability to apply data and data relationships across multiple sources and domains to help solve real business problems for growers and food producers;
9. Strong organizational, communication and collaboration skills to build and strengthen working relationships;
10. Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment of product discovery and development; and
11. Proven leadership capability with a track record of managing a team working in a production data science environment.
To be successful in this role you are likely to have:
• An advanced degree with a strong quantitative focus or equivalent experience in areas such as Statistics, Mathematics, economics, science, computer science, environmental science or agriculture science; or
• Equivalent skills through experience and on the job learning.
You are creative self-starter and a natural collaborator. You thrive on solving problems with digital technology for growers and don’t shy away from anything too complex. Some people might call you a data wiz and an out-of-the-box thinker. You will have real-world experience developing algorithms for use in a production environment.
You thrive in an environment of rapid change and innovation. You aren’t afraid to take responsibility for your work, to stretch yourself and to be challenged. We also hope you love all things food and can relate to producers across the value chain.
We are looking for talented women and men who share our passion. We are a truly diverse company that hires on both skills and values, and are actively striving to be an industry leader in building inclusive technology teams. We offer a supportive and flexible working environment, including giving our staff the tools needed to work remotely.
Check out our LinkedIn company page for details.