Job title: Data Scientist
Reporting to: Data Science Lead
Salary: A market competitive package including participation in The Yield’s employee share options plan.
Hours: Permanent Full Time
The Yield is hiring. Join us on our mission to change the face of agricultural technology and help feed the world without wrecking the planet.
The Yield is an Internet of Things (IoT) agricultural technology company. We take the guesswork out of growing. We help improve customers’ yields by providing on-farm sensors and a customised information service to make faster decisions. We work with leading farmers.
The world needs to produce 60% more food by 2050 to feed the planet at a time of unprecedented resource constraints and the impact of climate change. Our aim is to be a global leader in intelligent solutions in the food industry. We are developing our IoT solutions in Australia before scaling globally.
The Yield has a highly-focused team that brings together world-leading agriculturists, scientists and technologists. We partner with some of the global giants of technology services like Bosch and Microsoft. We have a strong commitment to open innovation and collaboration both internally and externally.
Our founder and Managing Director has spent her life time promoting inclusion and diversity at work. Our business is committed to creating the right culture, systems and flexibility for everyone regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation to thrive and reach their full potential. We were awarded the Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) inaugural #TechDiversity award in 2016 in recognition of our achievements.
A Data Scientist at The Yield works with varied data sets, ranging from multiyear climate data, observation data collected by on farm sensors and agricultural models. The Data Scientist will be responsible for working within a multi-disciplinary team to create previously unknown insights, model and codify inherent knowledge and provide local on farm predictions using cutting edge methods and techniques for The Yield’s Clients.
Leadership and Project Management capability are an important aspect of this role.
The Data Scientist is responsible for:
1. Developing supervised and unsupervised predictive models, algorithms, geospatial data analytics and models that support The Yield’s product roadmap and are scalable to cloud architectures;
2. Identifying and acquiring additional sources of data to enhance and expand our ability to deliver unique and valuable predictions and insights to our growers;
3. Ensuring compliance with The Yield’s systems to protect its intellectual property, its digital assets and customers’ privacy and confidential information;
4. Working closely with the Software Engineering, Business Analysis, Sales & Marketing and Hardware teams to develop solutions to release in our product;
5. Ensuring continuous improvement and development, keeping up with and leveraging new breakthroughs and advances in machine learning, AI and deep learning;
6. Contributing to a cohesive, diverse and high-performing team that is genuinely inclusive and gender-balanced;
7. Establishing good internal and external relationships, communicating verbally and in writing with key stakeholders; and
8. Being flexible and able to work independently, we need people who will do whatever it takes to get the job done.
9. This role will lead a small team and involves both technical leadership and project management.
To be successful in this role you must have:
1. A track record (minimum 4 years’ experience) of development of models using machine learning or AI to achieve a business and commercial outcome, preferably in areas such as environmental, climatic, geospatial, marine or agriculture modelling;
2. Have experience in manipulating, handling and extracting data form large structured and unstructured data sets including one or more of the following: time series data, predictive atmospheric models, weather or climate data, satellite imagery, and geospatial data;
3. Strong problem-solving skills with an understanding of the constraints on developing commercial solutions;
4. Experience with Python (including NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, Tensorflow, Keras, etc.) or the proven experience of multiple other languages allowing you to compress complex data / relationships into commercial / production grade models;
5. Experience building, improving and understanding supervised and unsupervised models: neural networks, LSTM networks, random forests, etc.
6. Solid working knowledge of querying and manipulating datasets with exposure to at least one industrial strength database;
7. Empathy for end-users and a creative ability to apply data and data relationships across multiple sources and domains to help solve real business problems for growers and food producers;
8. Strong organisational, communication and collaboration skills to build and strengthen working relationships; and
9. Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment of product discovery and development.
10. Track record of leading a small team with core project management skills.
11. You will be required to travel within Australia from time to time.
To be successful in this role you are likely to have:
• An advanced degree with a strong quantitative focus or equivalent experience in areas such as Statistics, Mathematics, economics, science, computer science, environmental science or agriculture science; or
• Equivalent skills through experience and on the job learning.
You are creative self-starter and a natural collaborator. You thrive on solving problems with digital technology for growers and don’t shy away from anything too complex. Some people might call you a data wiz and and out-of-the-box thinker. You will have real-world experience developing algorithms for use in a production environment.
You thrive in an environment of rapid change and innovation. You aren’t afraid to take responsibility for your work, to stretch yourself and to be challenged. We also hope you love all things food and can relate to producers across the value chain.
We hire on both skills and values, and are looking for talented women and men who share our passion. We are a truly diverse company and are actively striving to be an industry leader in building inclusive technology teams. We offer a supportive and flexible working environment, including giving our staff the tools needed to work remotely.
Please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Data Scientist" as the subject line to apply.