Job title: Software Development Manager
Reporting to: CTO
Salary: Competitive salary to be agreed
Hours: Full Time
The Yield is hiring! Come join us as we change the face of agricultural technology and help feed the world without wrecking the planet.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager who is passionate about building people and process to make great software happen.
The Yield is an AI & Internet of Things (IoT) agriculture technology company. We take the guesswork out of growing. We help improve customers’ yields by providing on-farm sensors and a customised information service to make faster decisions. We work with leading commercial growers in Australia and New Zealand.
The world needs to produce 60% more food by 2050 to feed the planet at a time of unprecedented resource constraints and the impact of climate change. Our aim is to be a global leader in intelligent solutions in the food industry. We are developing our IoT solutions in Australia before scaling globally.
The Yield is a highly-focused team that brings together world-leading agriculturists, scientists and technologists. We partner with some of the global giants of technology services like Bosch, Intel and Microsoft. We have a strong commitment to open innovation and collaboration both internally and externally. A core value is that we work with the best and share the rewards.
Our founder and Managing Director has spent her life time promoting inclusion and diversity at work. Our business is committed to creating the right culture, systems and flexibility for everyone regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation to thrive and reach their full potential. We were awarded the Australian Information Industry Association (AIIA) inaugural #TechDiversity award in 2016 in recognition of our achievements. Check out our video.
The Software Manager at The Yield is responsible for building a great software team with in-house engineers and outsourced providers in Australia and abroad. The focus of the role is all about Delivery, People and Process.
The Yield has a small team of software gurus who need a manager to facilitate, coach and guide their efforts and to grow the team as opportunity arises. The Yield is also looking to grow their ability to work with external development houses and distributed engineering teams. So, experience in this area is essential for the successful candidate.
We are looking for an experienced manager with a track record of managing great architects and engineers, championing Agile development practices and working with distributed teams and software vendors to bring a solution together.
The Software Manager is responsible for:
1. Building and managing a team of Software Engineers that is cohesive, diverse and high-performing and that is genuinely inclusive and gender-balanced;
2. Bringing solutions together with a distributed team, in-house, with partners and with team overseas.
3. Planning and Reporting on progress both for day-to-day activity and medium and longer term projects;
4. Hands-on running of Agile ceremonies
5. Ensuring Agile processes are used, enhanced and personal skills of the team are developed to ensure successful delivery of solutions;
6. Ensuring delivery of quality software and engineering practices including configuration management, CI/CD etc.
7. Ensuring compliance with The Yield’s systems to protect its intellectual property, its digital assets and customers’ privacy and confidential information;
8. Working closely with the Data Science, Product Management, Sales & Marketing and Hardware teams to develop solutions;
9. Ensuring continuous improvement and development, keeping up with software tools and practices;
10. Establishing good internal and external relationships, communicating verbally and in writing with key stakeholders;
11. Being flexible and able to work independently, we need people who will do whatever it takes to get the job done.
To be successful in this role you must have:
1. Proven leadership capability in a commercial environment running a small team (at least 5 years’ experience).
2. Proven experience with outsourced and in-sourced software development.
3. Experience in coaching, managing and improving practices in an Agile Scrum environment.
4. Ability to make plans, track progress and report to peers and management.
5. Proven ability to work collaboratively with other teams including Product Management to successfully develop and deploy commercial grade solutions.
6. Experience in professional development of talented software engineers
7. Strong organisational, communication and collaboration skills to build and strengthen working relationships.
8. Experience in building and operating solutions with Mobile, Web, scalable data platforms and Data Science models
9. Proficiency in Jira, Confluence and project tracking tools (e.g. Smartsheet)
10. Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment of product discovery and development.
To be successful in this role you are likely to have:
• A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering or equivalent
• Agile certification would be an advantage.
We are looking for talented women and men who share our passion and hire on both skills and values. We are a truly diverse company and are actively striving to be an industry leader in building inclusive technology teams. We offer a supportive and flexible working environment, including giving our staff the tools needed to work remotely.
Check out our LinkedIn company page for details.