The team celebrated International Women's Day 2022 on Tuesday 8 March with a presentation on this year's theme #breakingthebias
We then broke into groups to discuss personal experiences and perspectives on gender bias and how this may impact our home and work lives.
Special thanks to our colleague, Sophie Johns, for leading this impactful discussion.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Nearly 60% of women around the world work in the informal economy, earning less, saving less, and are at greater risk of falling into poverty
- Women earn 23% less than men globally
- Women occupy only 24% of parliamentary seats worldwide
- 1 in 3 women have experienced physical or sexual violence and 200 million women and girls have suffered female genital mutilation
- Around 21.5 million people worldwide are displaced every year by climate change-related events, of these, 80% are women
- At least 1.2 billion people could be displaced by climate-related events by 2050
- Women and children are 14 times more likely than men to die or be injured from a natural disaster. More than 70% of people who died in the 2004 Asian tsunami were women.
- Climate disasters have been shown to increase gender-based violence (GBV), including sexual harassment and violence, domestic violence, child marriage, sexual exploitation of children, and human trafficking
Source: UN Women Australia.